The Leaning Pile of Books is a feature where I talk about books I got over the last week–old or new, bought or received for review consideration (usually unsolicited). Since I hope you will find new books you’re interested in reading in these posts, I try to be as informative as possible. If I can find them, links to excerpts, author’s websites, and places where you can find more information on the book are included.
This week’s post covers the last 2 weeks of books in the mail. Here’s what happened since the last time this feature was posted in case you missed any of it:
- A mini-review of Crosstalk by Connie Willis (I had no idea what to rate this one since I loved reading it but also thought it had one note characters among other issues)
- A review of the October Patreon selection, Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo (I didn’t love it but I did like it and want to read the second half of the duology)
- An announcement of the November Patreon book selection, a science fiction book for Sci-Fi Month hosted by Rinn Reads and Over the Effing Rainbow
On to the latest books in the mail!
Arcanum Unbounded: The Cosmere Collection by Brandon Sanderson
This collection of stories set in the Cosmere universe will be released on November 22 (hardcover, ebook, audiobook). It contains the Hugo Award-winning novella “The Emperor’s Soul,” as well as stories related to Elantris and Mistborn—and a brand new novella set after Words of Radiance. There’s a preface, a little bit about each setting, and a postscript after each story, and the title page for each story related to the novels clearly states whether or not there are spoilers, which books will be spoiled (if any), and whether or not any spoilers are major or minor.
Brandon Sanderson is doing an Arcanum Unbounded tour starting November 22 and will be visiting the following cities:
- Provo, Utah (November 22)
- Fort Collins, Colorado (November 29)
- San Francisco, California (November 30)
- Seattle, Washington (December 1)
- Hoboken, New Jersey (December 3)
- Chicago, Illinois (December 6)
For details on the tour locations and times, visit Tor.com.
An all-new 40,000-word Stormlight Archive novella, “Edgedancer,” will be the crown jewel of Arcanum Unbounded: The Cosmere Collection, the first book of short fiction by #1 New York Times bestselling author Brandon Sanderson. A must read for fans of the series.
The collection will include nine works in all. The first eight are:
“The Hope of Elantris” (Elantris)
“The Eleventh Metal” (Mistborn)
“The Emperor’s Soul” (Elantris)
“Allomancer Jak and the Pits of Eltania, Episodes 28 through 30” (Mistborn)
“White Sand” (excerpt; Taldain)
“Shadows for Silence in the Forests of Hell” (Threnody)
“Sixth of Dusk” (First of the Sun)
“Mistborn: Secret History” (Mistborn)
These wonderful works, originally published on Tor.com and elsewhere individually, convey the expanse of the Cosmere and tell exciting tales of adventure Sanderson fans have come to expect, including the Hugo Award-winning novella, “The Emperor’s Soul” and an excerpt from the graphic novel “White Sand.”
Arcanum Unbounded will also contain the Stormlight Archive novella “Edgedancer,” which will appear in this book for the first time anywhere.
Finally, this collection includes essays and illustrations for the various planetary systems in which the stories are set.
- Belle Chasse (The Sentinels of New Orleans #5) by Suzanne Johnson
- A Conversation in Blood (Egil & Nix #3) by Paul S. Kemp
- Double Eclipse (Summer on East End #2) by Melissa de la Cruz
- The People’s Police by Norman Spinrad
- Seriously Shifted (Seriously Wicked #2) by Tina Connolly
- Silverwolf (Rowankind #2) by Jacey Bedford